GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,667
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, Dysonqhl
» Online Users: 976
2 members and 974 guests
Sarak24034

Old 09-08-2004, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Awesome Andrea. Its always great to have some new transfer sisters.

Thanks for the update. Its really sad to hear how low the numbers are this fall. I know ADPi needs 20+ for house total.

Do you think it is because the locations of the sign up tables being in the rec center? Are they making everyone go to the rec center for something and thats why we had it there or what? I just dont see as many students going through the rec center, even if its new, I see more going to the student center, where we always had sign ups. I am just really disappointed with how everything is going. I know the grad assistants are doing all they can, but do you think if we had a Greek Advisor than we maybe could have this running more smoothly and numbers possibly up? I hate to see all the sororities suffer this year and CORing all fall to get to totals. I know they are all awesome sororities though so no matter what all of them will try their hardest.

I just wish there was some way alums could help make greek life more prominent or more advertised on campus. I just never want to see us lose chapters and have low numbers. I still have faith all of us will have a great week this week.

Thanks again for the update.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2004, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I had no idea that they weren't in the Student Union.....

From what I've heard from my President, things are just very unorganized. Not having a reliable person like a Greek Life Director over the summer has hurt us tremendously. But now that Susan is in place as Interim Director and we have tons of help from Brandi and Michelle, I think things will move along. I do think that we'll have a hard hit on this recruitment and I think that is why they are thinking of having another in January so we can make up for the women we don't get now.

I think what we should do is get the Greek Alumni Council more involved with men's and women's recruitment. I know there are many people involved in that organization that work on campus or something to that effect. Maybe something as little as wearing a button saying Go Greek will help with PR???

I'm just hoping that we can handle everything appropriately and do what we need to do to get closer to total. DG also needs 20+. Alpha Phi and Kappa need 30+, and I think AGD needs 18 or so. So we are all in the same boat together!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe the only thing held in the Rec Center was Z-day-- the Welcome Back Carnival.

Actually, 70 girls is not to bad-- that is if no one drops out and if they all have the GPA! My first year being in charge of recruitment quota was 9!! When you came through Andrea I believe it was around that too (11ish)! So 14 being quota currently is good-- as long as we have some dedicated, intelligent girls!

I know we can all get our numbers up-- we always do! Its just that the girls need to be more dedicated to this! In my opinion-- in a "crisis" like this I think that the Rho Gam's and even some chapter exec members should be out walking around getting people to sign up-- in their classes, in the student union, ANYWHERE! I just do not believe the dedication is there! I so wish Greek Alumni Society could do more-- it would be just so hard for the Alums to be on campus during the day with work and all!

I keep meaning to talk to my cousin and tell her they need to chalk the sidewalks and go in the classrooms and write on the boards about signing up-- they need to make fliers to distribute and hang fliers evvvvvvvvverywhere! I do not think the word is out and that is part of the problem! GO GREEK should be the only thing the students hear and see when walking through campus!

Congrats on the new transfers-- what good schools they come from-- what a wonderful addition!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah it was only Z Day, but still many complained about how bad it was and how noone really came.

I agree it would be great if we had some dedicated, but that desire has to be there. I think its there more for some alums than actives lol.

As for actives being out getting the word out, I agree, but just to go along with that, chalking on the sidewalks is no longer allowed. You get fined I believe if you chalk on campus. My diamond bought me chalk one year when I first came in and right after it wasnt allowed anymore. It was a great thing to see all ove campus, but the officials felt it was making the school look bad by putting stuff all over the sidewalks, ect...

No matter how many sign up if we can retain those same numbers, well be good, but in the past years, we have had problmes wiht retention so we shall see. Im pulling for all the sororities though.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

So I talked to my cousin tonight-- she is a rho gam! She said our chapter is ready to go and was actually just finishing up a recruitment practice.

She said house tours were so-so and that approx 70 girls signed up is where it stands right now. She said she is working the table tomorrow-- I told her to walk up to complete strangers if she has to! Really though I told her to be really proactive at the table and approach anyone she feels may be interested-- don't wait for them to come to you, go to them first!

I am not going to be there tomorrow-- are you Andrea? I will update all of you on what I know on Friday night!! Bye for now!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll be at the house every night. Our membership advisor is (I guess you could say) "training" me to possibly take over for her next year so I'm doing a lot for the chapter as it is right now.

Since I was on PHC two years ago and was VP Membership last year, I know the most about PHCs computer program and our computer program so I am pretty much taking care of all of that for them. It's just nice to have that one person that takes care of all of it so its ready to go after the parties are over.

I also gathered all the alum that are helping out this weekend so I've been handling all that too. It's surely kept me busy!

Well....here we go! Recruitment starts in less than 19 hours!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of Luck to everyone--

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Phi
Delta Gamma
Kappa Kappa Gamma

and all of the wonderful women coming through!

And to add on to about getting everyone there-- I totally know what you mean Andrea-- I have been coordinating Pref Food and Alum help all week with the RVP-- I send out emails, people reply, and I let the RVP know!

I am so excited! Yes I know I am crazy and that's what makes me- me!!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
Best of Luck to everyone--

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Phi
Delta Gamma
Kappa Kappa Gamma

and all of the wonderful women coming through!

I am so excited! Yes I know I am crazy and that's what makes me- me!!

Ditto to the good luck wishes!

I'm excited too. I keep telling people that I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't love it so much. My appreciation for recruitment has definately grown since serving as PHC pres and VP Membership. I've done and seen so much that goes into it, I just love being apart of that process!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Let us know how Fri, Sat and Sun go, that is if you two will be there. How was it as an alum? What were the potentials like? Any mroe girls sign up?

Im sad because I was going to go help, but I am actually babysitting my nephew Thurs and Fri evening so I cant make it. I hope everything goes great.

Keep us updated.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not there tonight for ADPi-- but Andrea is there for DG! So we will have to wait to hear what she has to say! I figure it won't be to late when she posts because tonight is for grade cuts only. Let's all pray that she posts saying 100 girls came through!!!!!!!!! *anxiously awaiting Andrea's post*
Old 09-09-2004, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

In reading Jocelyn's post I realized I forgot to tell you about my rush crush! I was only there one night so far-- but I know this girl from waaaaaay back! She is a freshman at Akron-- but when she was 8 years old I coached her in cheerleading! She went to the same HS as me and cheered with my younger sister! I wish I had known she was going through so I could have written a rec-- but oh well! Just crossing my fingers that she goes ADPi! Or DG!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Well....for the moment you've been waiting for........

First round of parties were fabulous! It consisted of conversation between PNMs and actives and there was also a presentation in the middle about the "ABCs of Greek Life".

The women who are going through are so great and there aren't many women who have poor grades!! A lot of these women are over 3.0 and I think that is absolutely spectacular!!

Alright......I think that is about it. Have a good night everyone, I'm exhausted!!

by the way......92 women are signed up for recruitment. 51 attended tonights parties!!!!!!!!

Thought I'd leave you hanging for a little bit!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank goodness. 92, not too shabby. Awesome. I love to hear more girls with high GPAs are going through. Thats awesome, less to cut for grades. I hope we all get some awesome new sisters.... Im so excited now. Thanks for the update and suspense lol.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

92 women! That is wonderful! But where were the other 41 tonight? Makes me nervous!! I will be at ADPi tonight!! Go Greek-- 92 women is great!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
92 women! That is wonderful! But where were the other 41 tonight? Makes me nervous!! I will be at ADPi tonight!! Go Greek-- 92 women is great!
I thought the same thing! But if only these 51 women go through, at least we have 41 more to call for COB!!