GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,666
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, banessjnry522
» Online Users: 1,208
1 members and 1,207 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2004, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna
I've actually seen this happen with several sororities and fraternities. I've even seen an entire new chapter fold within the first three weeks because they didn't receive any type of assistance from their national, and the new members even told me about it because they didn't know what they should do. It's sad.

I'd really like to give props to Theta Nu Xi Sorority, Inc. for being so professional and for taking a stand against letter-wearers!! You have really distinguished yourselves in the greek world thus far, and especially among the MCGLOs!! All the best to you, and I hope to see some chapters in CA soon!

Thank you for your generous praise!!! I also wanted to mention, for the record, that I have first hand experience with an organization whose primary mission was expansion. They had two colonies fold within a few years - they didn't make it to chapter status. This organization is still small and struggling. It's just that the emphasis was put on getting the word out rather than supporting the current members who in turn would get the word out that way. My Sorors may not necessarily agree with me one hundred percent, but I believe that at the national level, all sororities and fraternities should primarily support their chapters. It is the individual chapters' responsibility to present the organization in a good light and promote membership that way. Of course, as we can see from the established GLOs (especially NPHC, NPC and NIC) once an organization grows to the point of excellent self-sufficience, that org can start to focus on inter/national issues that will bring attention - and new members - to that org. You can see how involved all of the established orgs are in this country!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
In my organization most of the expansion occurs thru the regional offices who oversee the districts in their area. We have an Western & Eastern Region President. Under those are the District President who do the direct hands on hands process as far as expanison goes. That way the National has time to focus on each individual chapter. We have been in existence for 5 years now. We currently have 5 active chapters & 2 functioning colonies.
We are also in the process of expanding to 6 more Universities in the next year.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

national sororities

In the interview process, local groups need to ask questions like:

Will the national organization assign a consultant to live with the colony. If not, how often during the first two years will the consultant visit?

How many local alumnae do you have? How many are willing to assist if we become a chapter?

How will we fit into your collegiate structure? Will we be grouped with established chapters or will we be assigned to someone who has experience working with new groups?

Is there a maximum number of new chapters you'd take on at the same time. In the past, what is the greatest number or new chapters you had in one year?

Were the last five chapter's you closed new or established? What is the primary reason for a chapter closing?

What leadership training is available for our first officers?

Can our local alumnae become members of the national organization with the same privlidges as your other alumnae?

If these types of questions are asked, you'll soon see which groups would be willing to make the investment in making your local a success. It takes both manpower and $$$.

If a local sorority is interested in going national, they should go to npcwomen.org. The NPC organization is the umbrella organization for the 26 national sororities. They could provide additional information or help you start your process. NPC groups do not approach local or college panhellenics regarding expansion. They must be invited to particiapate.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

AnchorGal,

Great questions!! If you don't mind, I'm going to pass them on to a local interest group I know of that is looking into expansion. That will give them something to think about.

PsychTau
Old 10-21-2004, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

expansion

Feel free to share the list!
Old 11-02-2004, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to audaz49 Send a message via Yahoo to audaz49
back to the original question:
My organization is 14 years old, and currently has 74 chapters nationwide, with expansion occurring constantly and at a rapid rate. The national office does not neglect any of the chapters, especially those that are established. For a new chapter to begin, there MUST be initiated sorors who are willing and able to guide the interest group through the colonization process and into becoming a chapter. Our chapters have an established communication system facillitating nationwide cooperation on anything, and at the current time, we are the fastest growing historically hispanic sorority because we are strong and supportive. Rapid expansion does not necessarily make one's organization strong, it is the strength in the expansion and the strength of the sisterly bond as well as the well planned and well executed processes of expanding which can and will lead to a strong and successful organization.
I hope that this is coherent, it is after midnight as i write this, so i apologize in advance if it is difficult to understand.
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by audaz49
Rapid expansion does not necessarily make one's organization strong, it is the strength in the expansion and the strength of the sisterly bond as well as the well planned and well executed processes of expanding which can and will lead to a strong and successful organization.
You took the words right outta my mouth!! Good explanation!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with both you ladies.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks a lot everyone for your responses. This has been an eye-opening thread. I have another question to throw out there to up and coming GLO's.

Are there any organizations out there who find success in approaching a university for expansion as opposed to only responding to interested women/men? If you do, how do you go about approaching the university? What resources can you tap into in order to generate interest?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
It all depends on the University/College you apply to. It also depends on what type of organization U have.

Ex: My Frat is a Christian Org. SO we tend to apply to alot of Christian Universties. When we apply for expanison @ general universities we tend to approacjh the Christan Irganizations already on campus.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to seheart
Some organizations have grown too large too quick. There are a few orgs on my campus, who once were strong, but are now always struggling just to survive one more year.

If you grow too fast too quick, with no structure and not willing to change to met your target audience, you will die.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

glad to see you are taking note of my Soror Preciousjeni and of audaz49's posts =)
Old 04-02-2005, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of our beginning Chapters were founded by friends of Alpha Chapter Brothers. In fact, today, a lot of our Interest Groups have a member who is a friend of a brother.
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair