GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Delta Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,674
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zajaksontexaxdz
» Online Users: 834
1 members and 833 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2005, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I always called it my badge while in the chapter...but now I switch back and forth. It is very weird that we sing "I Love the Pin" and have a badge order form ???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
I always called it my badge while in the chapter...but now I switch back and forth. It is very weird that we sing "I Love the Pin" and have a badge order form ???
That's the very reasoning we were told that we never wear a Badge!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Another little item: I was looking at the Badge (*shudder*) Order Form, and noticed that RUBIES are no longer available! Suddenly, I'm not in such a hurry to sell my pin with ruby points!

Also, nowhere does it state that the jewels are synthetic. I know I once asked a jeweler about the sapphires on my pin, and he said that they were genuine.

hmm... the order form our alphas were looking at a few weeks ago had rubies... and stated that jewels were synthetic....

and we got the speech that it's called a badge... so seems everyone is all over the place on this topic.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 10-20-2005, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

what's the main difference between a pin and a badge in general? Could they just be used interchangeably?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Another little item: I was looking at the Badge (*shudder*) Order Form, and noticed that RUBIES are no longer available! Suddenly, I'm not in such a hurry to sell my pin with ruby points!

Also, nowhere does it state that the jewels are synthetic. I know I once asked a jeweler about the sapphires on my pin, and he said that they were genuine.
Two of my girls ordered pins with rubies when I sent in the order form last spring.

And doesn't it say "badge" in the creed?

"...by following the dictates of the four points symbolized by our diamond shaped badge..."
Old 10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
Quote:
First comment: We were taught that the Adelpheans had badges, but the Alpha Delta Pis wear pins. I cannot stress how much this was emphasized, and I still cringe when I see ADPi Badge - yet that's what the form reads! AACCKK!!!!!

Was anyone else taught this?
Interesting. I was actually tought that we didn't wear pins, the diamond was our badge.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
Quote:
Originally posted by ADqtPiMel
Two of my girls ordered pins with rubies when I sent in the order form last spring.

And doesn't it say "badge" in the creed?

"...by following the dictates of the four points symbolized by our diamond shaped badge..."
From a jeweler stand point let me explain something. Synthetic does not mean color glass in this case. Our Synthetic jewels (most likely saphires, emeralds and rubies) are lab created. This means they are geuine stones, but are created in a lab where conditions are controlled. The quality is better. However, it is a matter of preference. Some people still prefer a cloudy emerald to a clear one. Just an FYI.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpideltaup
There was an Adelphean that went through the history of our pin/badges... if I search and find it I'll put some tidbits on here...
I was sent a copy of this last year by a gc sister (i think it was polarpi) but I can't remember who off the top of my head (it might have been firstandfinest). If I can relocate it, i'll get it posted somewhere for everyone. Or someone can scan it and post it on the yahoo group.

I will let you know that it isn't detailed enough to answer our questions. I had the same questions a year ago when it was first sent to me.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by *EtaNu*ADPi*
what's the main difference between a pin and a badge in general? Could they just be used interchangeably?
Yes, they are interchangable. And it's probably a chapter thing that I was told to use pin, not badge (based on "I Love The Pin").

Sherra, I'd love to hear what you have! I was basing most of what I said (except the pin/badge part) on the Order Form that I printed out the other night from PO.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll see if i can find it. However, I have moved since then and it might take a few days or a week or so. Someone might get a quicker reply by contacting EO and asking for a copy of the article. It was in a 2004 Adelphean..

Speaking of...Has the Winter Adelphean come out yet?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

bump
Old 02-07-2015, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a crazy old thread, but I had some things that might add to it. I was initiated in the early 90s, and at that time the hands were raised on the pin. I want to say they'd been raised for a few years at that point; pretty sure everyone in my chapter then had raised hands. The seniors at the time were the last official "pledges" while the rest of us came in as Alphas. I actually like the look of the raised hands over the flat ones, because the engraving for the flat hands is so variable and they don't always look much like hands. But I'm somewhat surprised they haven't moved to cut costs by enamelling them on flat like the current Phi Mu pin is. Seems like the extra gold for the raised hands and the variability lately in getting them on straight would make a case for it. I think it could look nice, depending on the design. I wish they'd drill the stars again, though; those always looked sharp!

We did have an option between regular and stickpin chapter guards, though I don't remember anyone in our chapter at the time ordering the stickpin version. I've seen references to the stickpin being a new option, which kind of confused me since I remember this being available 20 years ago. I went back to my chapter this year to help with recruitment, and I noticed a lot of stickpin guards. They look very pretty, and I wonder about the pros and cons between the two styles. I'd like to get a white gold or sterling guard to go with a white gold pin I rescued; anyone have any thoughts on the stickpin vs traditional guard pin?

I do not remember having white gold as an option in the 90s (certainly silver wasn't at that time). It was actually interesting to us that our Housemom (herself an ADPi, initiated in the 50s) had a white gold pin since we hadn't seen that. It obviously also had flat hands and cut stars, so different from our raised hands and flat stars. I know white gold was available at some point in the 70s, maybe 80s, then again sometime in the 2000s. But it wasn't available in the 90s as far as I remember.

In college I had a plain pin (no pearls at all; the rope border badge with 4 pearl points was the "step up" pin at the time), and I had a plain chapter guard that could hold about two threads from whatever shirt or dress I was wearing it on . The plain pin is so tiny that it only has my initials on the back (diagonal across the back, no less), with no chapter designation or initiate date. I'd always wanted something nicer, though, so around 1999 or 2000, after grad school was finished and I was gainfully employed, I decided to get the pin I'd always wanted: alternating pearls and sapphires (my birthstone). The jeweller at the time was Burr, Patterson, and Auld, and no where on the pamphlet was there anything about the stones being synthetic, and I'd known the ones in my college days were real, so I never gave it a second thought about the quality of the gemstones. When I received my pin, there were some manufacturing flaws on the face of the pin, and the sapphires, while beautiful, looked obviously synthetic (extremely bright and too fiery for a real sapphire). I emailed them asking if the stones were genuine or lab created, and they wrote back that all their colored stones were synthetic. I wrote back calling them out on the fact that their brochure said nothing about the stones being anything other than genuine, and they initially brushed me off. However, I printed up the applicable statutes from the Federal Trade Commission regarding labelling of synethetic/lab created gemstones and sent them off to BPA with a carbon copy to EO, and I asked BPA to repair the defects on my pin and replace the lab created sapphires with the real ones I'd paid for. They did comply, and the pin I got back is gorgeous. It may be the last genuine sapphire ADPi pin created, because after that, the brochures were changed to state that all colored gemstones are synthetic. I know that synthetic stones are still pretty, and I know that the cost of real stones would just be prohibitive for most collegians, but I wish genuine colored stones were still an option.

As an aside, when I got the sapphire/pearl pin after grad school, I ended up choosing my married initials for the back of the pin instead of my maiden name initials. That pin was big enough to have those initials as well as my chapter and initiation date on the back. Someone looking at the back of that pin might be confused if they look me up in member search, since they won't find an initiate from that year and chapter with those initials!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore View Post
This is a crazy old thread, but I had some things that might add to it. I was initiated in the early 90s, and at that time the hands were raised on the pin.

I'd like to get a white gold or sterling guard to go with a white gold pin I rescued; anyone have any thoughts on the stickpin vs traditional guard pin?

I do not remember having white gold as an option in the 90s (certainly silver wasn't at that time). But it wasn't available in the 90s as far as I remember.

I decided to get the pin I'd always wanted: alternating pearls and sapphires (my birthstone).

As an aside, when I got the sapphire/pearl pin after grad school, I ended up choosing my married initials for the back of the pin instead of my maiden name initials. That pin was big enough to have those initials as well as my chapter and initiation date on the back. Someone looking at the back of that pin might be confused if they look me up in member search, since they won't find an initiate from that year and chapter with those initials!
I'll chime in on a few of your comments:

I was initiated in '95 and yes, we had the raised clasped hands on our pin. And I don't remember having the option of white gold or silver either. My pin is yellow gold with pearls.

As for the stick pin/guard pin…when I ordered my new pin, I got the stick pin version. I love the way it looks, just not on me! I had to have my jeweler trim it so that it didn't stick out so much. Now it looks great. It is much easier to put on than than the regular guard in my opinion.

And like you, when I decided to buy a new pin two years ago, I went with the alternating pearl/sapphire in silver. I probably would never have purchased a new one, but since I wear my pin regularly (as an advisor), I thought I'd splurge on my dream one! The only thing I do regret is not using my maiden initials. For some reason I feel like since it has my initiation date and chapter, it should have my initiation initials too...I wasn't really thinking when I filled out the form. I'm sure I'll buy another one soon and I'll make sure to use my maiden initials
Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi95 View Post
I'll chime in on a few of your comments:

I was initiated in '95 and yes, we had the raised clasped hands on our pin. And I don't remember having the option of white gold or silver either. My pin is yellow gold with pearls.

As for the stick pin/guard pin…when I ordered my new pin, I got the stick pin version. I love the way it looks, just not on me! I had to have my jeweler trim it so that it didn't stick out so much. Now it looks great. It is much easier to put on than than the regular guard in my opinion.

And like you, when I decided to buy a new pin two years ago, I went with the alternating pearl/sapphire in silver. I probably would never have purchased a new one, but since I wear my pin regularly (as an advisor), I thought I'd splurge on my dream one! The only thing I do regret is not using my maiden initials. For some reason I feel like since it has my initiation date and chapter, it should have my initiation initials too...I wasn't really thinking when I filled out the form. I'm sure I'll buy another one soon and I'll make sure to use my maiden initials
That's good to know about the stickpin guard! I'd really love to get an aquamarine pin in white gold or silver, maybe with pearl points. I was an advisor for a few years, and if I do it again, I may get myself one of those. Also thinking I might do the same as you and get the maiden initials if I get another new pin, but not sure. Wonder if they'd do four initials to cover both bases? lol With your silver pin, do you find it tarnishes easily?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore View Post
Wonder if they'd do four initials to cover both bases?

Doubt it. My maiden name is hyphenated and they would only put my first three initials. Granted that was over a decade ago...

Also, I don't remember stick pin as an option when I was an alpha (confirmed by referencing my badge order info I still have from then), though I do remember it my senior year. Seems strange that it's been in and out of availability?

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut