GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,329
0 members and 1,329 guests
No Members online

Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice needed for alternates to security bars on chapter house windows

Hi all,

I am on the House Corporation Board for one of our chapters and we've recently been considering major renovations to the house. The topic of security bars on the windows came up and I'm looking for ideas on how to keep security while improving aesthetics.

The house currently sits on a busy street across from the campus. We have security bars on the windows (with an internal release mechanism) and the members have never really liked them. Our chapter is the only one with the bars and they say it makes us look like a "prison house" to the PNMs during rush.

I understand their point. Unfortunately, the sorority two doors down and one a block away do not have bars on their windows and they've had incidents of intruders in their house who came in through windows.

As a firefighter, I am personally concerned about the bars as they can slow down or prevent egress from the house in a fire. But, I don't want random intruders climbing in either.

I would love to hear suggestions from others who have had similar situations. I've tried to research alternates to security bars. I understand that a laminate security film can be installed over the glass...but that doesn't prevent someone from climbing in when a girl leaves the window wide open overnight. That may also pose a problem to firefighters attempting to break and vent the glass.

Maybe we could take the bars down, install a laminate and then have a stop installed on the track so that the window only opens halfway? Or maybe there are some more modern-looking bars that will still be secure but blend into the house a little better? Maybe there are security window screens?

This subject comes up at least once a year and I don't want to keep brushing the members off. If there's a way to make it happen, I'd like the get the bars off the windows for them.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 04-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Unskilled suggestions here but windows that only open part way or from the top, would be a good idea like you mentioned. Alternatively maybe a decorative 'bar' that's done in shapes so instead of a prison it's like a decorative wrought iron fence or something?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

As a former national director of housing for my GLO, I suggest you talk with your Director of Housing Resources. I know her and she can give you some good advice.

Second, keep in mind that anything which allows the women to open their windows will also require them to do something to lock, latch, secure, etc the window when they close it. So, the question is what mechanism are they most likely to use? Personally, I'd install alarms on all the windows and tell them not to open them unless an emergency arises. Whydo they need to open them in the first place?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Do you have a security alarm system?

I ask that because my parents have one and it allows you to set it so that the alarm sounds if the windows are opened/tampered with/broken.

You can also turn it to that setting without having to turn the ENTIRE alarm on (so that the hosue doesn't have to be fully alarmed at night because people like to come and go.)

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-23-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Unskilled suggestions here but windows that only open part way or from the top, would be a good idea like you mentioned. Alternatively maybe a decorative 'bar' that's done in shapes so instead of a prison it's like a decorative wrought iron fence or something?

Ok...here's what they look like right now. The photos were taken from across the street and aren't great quality. You can see that they blend in relatively "ok" from a distance; but, yes, they do stick out and are more obvious when one sees the house up close. They do have a little bit of decorative work in them; though, they aren't the height of beauty by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou
Second, keep in mind that anything which allows the women to open their windows will also require them to do something to lock, latch, secure, etc the window when they close it. So, the question is what mechanism are they most likely to use?

Right....and here's where I get stuck. These are 18-23 year old girls we're talking about. They're not very good about understanding the concept that they need to close and lock doors and windows. If we "ask" them to use a lock or latch, it won't happen. The lock or latch mechanism needs to be permanently installed to the window and must be tamper proof.

Quote:
Personally, I'd install alarms on all the windows and tell them not to open them unless an emergency arises. Whydo they need to open them in the first place?
Unfortunately, young people think that accidents and emergencies will never happen to them. Over the years we've had a problem with the girls on the second floor climbing out of one window (which doesn't have bars) in order to sunbathe on the roof. In bedroom windows on the second floor, they run cable lines through the window causing the sashes to not close all the way (illegal and a safety hazard).

The house has air conditioning, but sometimes they do need to open windows for fresh air. Unfortunately, they abuse that by climbing out the windows and stringing cables through the windows and such. We've got the policy written into the contract and the board constantly reminds the members that the behavior is both unsafe and liability to the sorority.....but, they do it anyway.

The girls just told me Thursday night that some of the members rearranged the furniture in their rooms and moved the bunkbeds to a position in front of and blocking the emergency release latch for the security bars. I told them that I was concerned about the safety aspect and asked them to move the furniture back ASAP to clear the access to the releases.

One member's flippant response to me was that, if we didn't have bars on the windows, then there wouldn't be any emergency release latches for the members to block in the first place. I got angry and told her that the idea of her sisters dying in a fire wasn't funny. This member is a terrific and outstanding member and immediately and sincerely apologized for her comment, but it just further shows to me that the members don't fully think through these things.

.....Kelly

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 04-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 PM

^^^Are you at SDSU? Just guessing when you mentioned roof tanning. That's a popular activity. lol.

It's hard to get safety things through collegians heads sometimes. I know when I was a collegian, we did some really dumb things like prop open our fire escape doors, windows, etc. Luckily we were on a secluded cul de sac knd of thing. I know the houses where are you don't have that luxury.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^Are you at SDSU? Just guessing when you mentioned roof tanning. That's a popular activity. lol.

Yep, SDSU. There's a flat roof in the back and they like to climb out on it. I don't get it....we have a back yard with a lawn! The HCB offered to buy them lawn furniture they could sunbathe on and they still climb onto the roof!

......Kelly

True and Constant
Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Then I recommend windows that only open so far. And not ones that you just stick a rod into to prevent them from opening because the first thing a girl will do is pull the rod out.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

^ Yep. Of course, said windows will still need a security feature that allows a full exit in case of an emergency. Perhaps a feature that if it is opened, it will trigger the fire alarm and sprinkler system...
Old 04-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
^ Yep. Of course, said windows will still need a security feature that allows a full exit in case of an emergency. Perhaps a feature that if it is opened, it will trigger the fire alarm and sprinkler system...
This is not a good idea for a sorority house (as I guarantee you that someone will open it all the way, not thinking about the sprinkler.) Although it only takes one "OMG sprinkler flood" for people to know not to open it all the way.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I don't know, I mean I know it would be ideal, but many dorms/hotels/etc don't have windows that can be exited out of. My dorm windows were either hand crank or itty bitty wee little opening so idiot students wouldn't throw things out their windows.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is not a good idea for a sorority house (as I guarantee you that someone will open it all the way, not thinking about the sprinkler.) Although it only takes one "OMG sprinkler flood" for people to know not to open it all the way.
One a year Short term memories and turnover and all that.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey, we did that in Cleveland, too! Yes, nice weather does exist there. Once in a while.

I also suggest windows that don't open all the way. There's also the option of windows that can open all the way, but that also have pieces of the frame that can be pulled out so the window doesn't open all the way. (We recently had these windows installed at my church; I can try to take a picture tomorrow to share, if I remember.) The issue with that is that not everyone will keep those safety/security 'flaps' out, which doesn't guarantee security. But along those lines, if personal items are stolen from a room in the house because a window was left open, who is held responsible? I'd hate to bring legality into it, but when the girls move into the house, they could be required to sign a waiver stating that if they do not personally take the precautions necessary to guard their belongings (such as securing windows and locking doors), the house corporation cannot be held responsible for the lost items.

If there's a home and garden show (or a home improvement show, or something of that ilk) anywhere near you soon, I'd suggest going. There are bound to be window vendors/replacers/installers there who can give you more suggestions as well as prices, and they often offer a discount if you decide to use their services as a result of their being at the show.
Macon Magnolias
Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I second what steelerbear mentioned about talking to window and security vendors, and I'd also include architects and insurance companies as they may have a suggestion that is appropriate and will give a discount on insurance. If these are double paned windows or have other features that save on heating and cooling there's perhaps another rebate and long term money saving. Just looking at the house you can't just focus on the first floor since the windows on the second floor could be accessed by a determined creeper.

The women may have to accept that to get rid of the bars they would have to have windows that don't open or only open with a small vent. Since you mentioned that they are already making choices that are unsafe (going out on the roof, blocking safety latches, leaving windows open) it may just be easier to change the windows to prevent that behavior at all since it is a problem and likely to still be one with 18-22 year olds. You mentioned there is AC, so at least the windows aren't used for cooling.

Since your windows look like sliding ones you may have to get new windows to provide security. In the mean time you could get thick wooden dowels painted glow in the dark, to a length that prevents the window from sliding more than the approved amount. The girls could remove them but at least in a fire they could see the dowel to remove it and/or use it to smash or get attention from rescuers. Switching to tilt and turn/slide, or a top opening sash is an option as in an emergency they can be easily opened from the inside for safety but keeps people out.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

talk to some experts about those windows. not knowing any of the detail, i would vote for alarms, which are armed round the clock, and which only a few trusted members or only the house mother knows.

could you all convert the flat roof to a sundeck, complete with a door to access it? it sounds like the members are going to continue to sunbathe on the roof, so making it safer for that activity might be something to think about.

you all(housing board) may need to use a firmer hand with the live-in girls concerning fire safety and window bars. when normally respectful members are responding flippantly to alumnae advisors, it seems that they are just not getting it, and maybe it is time to revamp your risk management education. maybe you could get a fellow fire fighter to come do an assessment of the house and then report back to the alumnae board. then have that a fire fighter speak to the chapter-maybe a shock and awe type presentation- which would help the girls understand why you all have the rules that you do. maybe the speaker could incorporate information on fires that have occured in other greek housing. i think it might have more impact if you were not the speaker.