View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Upsilon Lambda Hermano Victor Capellan (Zeta Chapter, Beta Line, Fall 1990) has been honored as one of the 13 MillerCoors 2008 Líderes of the Year. The annual MillerCoors campaign recognizes the leadership and arduous work of a number of Hispanic leaders across the country. To elect the 2008 Líder of the Year from this slate of candidates, the campaign encourages the general public to log on to their website, http://www.coorslideres.com, to vote for their choice from November 1-12.

The winning Líder will receive a $25,000 grant for a leadership project of their choice to continue their good work. Capellan a native of the Dominican Republic and advocate for issues relating to Latinos across the country is presently president of the Dominican American National Roundtable (DANR). If elected Líder of the Year, Capellan will utilize the grant to fund the DANR Youth Program that takes young people to Washington to receive training on becoming Immigration advocates.

"It is an honor for me as to be considered a candidate for Líder of the Year," said Capellan. "Educating our youth has always been my priority. By providing our young people with the tools to become immigration advocates, we will arm them with information to educate our citizenry and our political officials on the true, valuable and critical contributions immigrants are making in this country."

Born in the city of Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic, Capellan immigrated to the United States in 1983. Since then, Capellan has embraced the challenge to motivate and raise consciousness within the Latino community. Capellan has held numerous positions around the country, such as Executive Director of Center for Hispanic Policy and Advocacy, in Rhode Island, President of DANR in Washington, DC, Principal of EBC High School for Public Service in Brooklyn, NY and now as Director of School Improvement and Leadership Services for Fall River Public Schools in Massachusetts. His focus has been educating the community on the importance of political involvement, creating paths to success and moving the community into positions of power.

"Voting for Líder of the Year will take place on the MillerCoors website at coorslideres. com from November 1 through November 12," said Capellan. "I hope my friends, colleagues and fellow advocates will consider casting a vote on my behalf so I may continue to work with the community and educate our youth on taking action, rather than accepting inaction."

MillerCoors is committed to facilitating the development of Latino leaders by providing leadership tools that benefit the Hispanic community. Joedis Avila, coordinator of the program noted that the Líderes program celebrates and supports national and local leaders within the Hispanic community and facilitates and provides leadership tools (scholarships, training, sponsorships and economic development) that foster the development and advancement of all communities, in particular the U.S. Latino community.