View Single Post
Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking from the point of view who has had major issues with depression and anxiety disorders herself . . .

It almost entirely depends on how controlled they are. I have bipolar friends who you would never know weren't 100% healthy, and I have bipolar friends who can be borderline psychotic. I would never ever knowingly start dating someone with a serious problem, even if it's "just" depression or "just" anxiety, because I know I could never deal with some of the isht I've put people through at my worst. Depression and anxiety problems, if left uncontrolled, can be just as bad if not worse than some of the supposedly more serious problems like bipolar disorder.

The problem is that many people who deal with issues like this are pretty good at covering it up. The chances that you're going to know someone is bipolar or whatever before you become close to them are generally relatively slim. And I don't think that if I started to care for someone I could ever break up with them just because I found out they had some kind of "mental condition," even if I knew it would save me a ton of pain and work in the end.