View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Observations:

I think the majority of the NALFO groups seem to be recognizing the lack of preparation which many minorities suffer from due to crumbling urban school systems in communities where Latinos may be the majority and institutional racism in school systems where Latinos may be the minority.

ETA: This is moreso in response to point #1 -- I don't think the comparison to NIC orgs is a reasonable one because white people don't (on the whole) have the same retention issues in higher education.
Senusret I hits the nail on the head.

I would also like to add that there is a growing number of college campuses that have moved to second semester recruitment for NPC and IFC organizations. Allowing 1st year students to join GLOs in their first term just isn't a best practice in the eyes of many higher education scholars and professionals.

There are many LGLOs (or orgs that started out as LGLOs) that place a high priority on academic excellence, but I realize that not everyone shares this focus. That's fine, but I do have a serious question:

How the HELL does a person get into ANY 4-year university with a 2.35 high school GPA? Is this a regional thing(?), because in CA, a 2.35 cumulative = straight to community college (with very limited exceptions).