View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
Just listened to that pod-cast.

There is something to be said about putting the needs and best interest of your fellow students in front of the desires of your organization. I'd rather see Latinas/os (in this case) become well-acclimated to the college environment, and focus on establishing a strong GPA during their first semester/quarter than join my sorority, even if my chapter was low on numbers. If the majority of NALFO organizations saw fit to restrict the membership process to 2nd semester/quarter freshmen, they all can't be wrong (and some of these orgs. are hurting for numbers, too).
I see it this way too. As a current undergrad it's more important for me to see my fellow community members succeed than to have them pledge my org right away. I've seen way too many of my friends struggle with the transition to a university setting and class load. Many(not all) Latinos on my campus aren't even well-acclimated to a college environment until their second year. It's unfortunate, but that's part of our reality.

A few years back many NALFO member orgs at my school were getting a bad rep with Latino administrators because there were students pledging LGLO as freshmen and "suddenly" ending up on academic probation the semester they crossed. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of coming to a university. I'd say, without speculating on any induction process, that a lot of this had to do with those students needing more time to learn what it takes to succeed academically in a college environment.

Personally, I prefer that interested individuals are in their second year most of the time. This is a life time commitment that I'm not sure most(Not all) 17/18 year old first semester freshmen still learning the proper way to play Beer Pong can always comprehend. An entire semester can at least give the chapter and the individual more time before deciding if they are a good fit for each other. Just my opinion based on my campus...