View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
I see what you mean. What would that requirement look like ? A waiting period for new chapters? Interest have to attend interest meetings for the defunct organization? Defunct organization must be allowed to participate in "Meet the greeks" type functions? Just some ideas. I doubt the "vote in" requirement is going to go because at a national level this is viewed as positive by most of the NALFO orgs because they can easily see them selves on the expansion level and less on the retention level.
I'm not so sure that retention efforts would come in the form of an actual requirement, but perhaps there is some way that NALFO could offer support to local councils if more than one NALFO org is struggling. If you have 4 fraternities and only one of them is dying out, then I wouldn't say that NALFO should assist because it is likely due to something that particular organization is or is not doing. However, I know of some campuses that had a thriving LGLO population a few years ago, but now numbers are dwindling for the majority of the chapters. In that case, perhaps NALFO can sponsor a campus event to promote the whole council (without taking away from any efforts to bring a new NALFO org onto campus). Just some thoughts.

My feeling is that *all* NALFO orgs. should be thinking about retention of chapters immediately. How many new chapters of NALFO orgs have we all seen that consist of 3-5 chapter founders that are going to graduate within 1-2 years? Happens every day, and this is not a good recipe for longevity. How many chapters can say for sure that they are not at risk of dying out? All it takes is a huge graduating class + a couple of 1-2 person lines (or a line that completely drops) and now a once thriving chapter is at risk. At the very least, NALFO can provide workshops or sessions at the national meetings to address this universal topic, if not work with the national boards of the member orgs. to do more.

BTW, I am really enjoying this discussion. Thanks, guys!