View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
Update on GAO!

Quote:
Originally posted by NoShame_Gamma
Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority is an "up and coming" organization. Founded at the Arizona State University campus in 1993, it now has 11 chapters and 3 Charters/Colonies throughout AZ, WA, WI, ID, TX, and OR. I'm also part of the Petitioning Group at Humboldt State University in northern CA. In 2 weeks we'll be going to the National Convention in Milwaukee to make our presentation to become a Charter/Colony, which will make us the first in CA. Wish us luck!
Well, convention has come and gone and I am happy to say that our WONDERFUL FAMILY / SISTERHOOD has grown! We now have 14 Chapters and 1 Charter Colony (us!). There's been some interest from other California Universities, but nothing concrete yet. I'll keep y'all posted!

Serenity, what campus are you at? PM me, I'd like to chat!

Here's a little bit about us:

National History:

Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority was the first Hispanic founded sorority on the campus of Arizona State University, in Tempe, Arizona. Founded on January 25, 1993 with a strong desire to serve the Hispanic community and a quest for higher learning by five determined collegiate young women Michelle Seanez, Amy Alvarez Patsy Guardado, Clara Lopez Michelle Mendoza known today as our Most Honorable Founding Madres. These visionary young women formed this community service based sorority in conjunction with their benevolent vision. Their focus was not only on social issues, as manytraditional sororities before them, but also as a dynamic and altruistic group of advanced women, to excel in school, motivate others, generate role models, and eventually yield considerable Hispanic community leaders.

Local History:

On October 2000, seven women came together to discuss the possibility of establishing a Latina based sorority on the HSU campus. At the time of their meeting, there was only one other Latino interest organization on campus. Noticing the lack of Latino representation, these women formed the Interest Group of Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc. and began meeting on a regular basis.

Our purpose is to promote and instill in every member of our sorority the values of Honesty, Integrity, Leadership, Scholarship, and Unity. These pillars have become the foundation of our organization and a symbol of devotion to our purpose. By encouraging these admirable characteristics, each member enriches her life with these lifelong attributes. We strive not only to be an asset to our community, but to also strengthen the bonds that are present within our sisterhood.

Check out our websites:
www.gammaalaphaomeganationals.homestead.com
www.humboldt.edu/~gaopg
www.humboldt.edu/~greek