View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

Okay, so a quick update

J had a great meeting with our rush chair last week. The rush chair told me that he felt that he could have given J a bid card then and been confidant that he made a good decision. So J just has to come to the house and meet some more guys and it looks like he'll be getting his card. The rush chair said that he really liked the way J carried himself and was real social and said things that made our rush chair think that Beta was the place for J.

I got to see the new batch of rush apps last week too, before I left, and they weren't nearly as impressive - I think that the rush chairs only pulled three apps to call out of the about 25 in this second batch, and none of those three were of the same quality of the 21 I've outlined. But I guess, considering there were only 21 guys out of the first 130-140 that we set up meetings with, then obviously there isn't always going to be guys in every group that we feel we have to meet with ASAP- once the summer gets farther along the number of meals out the rush chairs have will decrease some. The rush chairs are also realizing that they can call some of the other guys who are such studs and invite them to events rather than necessarily taking them out.

An arguement similar to last years rush about the importance of the app is simmering right now. One of the guys in question has us in a sticky situation. The kid is the little brother of an APhi that is really an excellent friend of Beta. She's dated two guys in the house and is friends with many of us. Her lil Bro has even come with her to some parties of ours and so most guys know and like him, but his app isn't so hot. I think he's been called and I would bet taht if he got a bid card he'd sign immediately, but it's a question of whether he should get a card. I think that he should simply b/c we need guys who show add something a little different. Plus I feel like we know this kid pretty well, many of us have met him and like him as a person, and if he got in he would fit into the chapter and would be everyone's friend.

There's also another kid who is actually good friends with J, and he has a 34 ACT but a 3.0 GPA, plans to walk on to the football team. Questioned simply because of the dichotomy of his ACT and GPA.

So that's it for now.

The Rush chairs have meetings set up everyday this week throughout the state from Omaha to Ogallala, and even one kids in the Kansas City area. Busy week no doubt, and of course the first rush BBQ. Some guys might get a bid card that night. Who knows by the time I next update we might have two pledges.