View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay

This will be my only update for the next week because I will be leaving for home tommorow and then be headed to UIFI session 2!

We are planning to give a bid card to a rushee next week when the rush chairs meet with him.

He's in the honors program for comp. sci and management, ACT score of 33, is valedictorian of his HS, state wrestler qualifier, baseball player, and friends with one of my pledge brothers. He was in town and at the house for a weekend during the semester and actually played in Tri-Delts Batters Up softball tournament for us, so he knows a bunch of guys already.

As for J and D.

J will be having lunch with one of our rush chairs today at 1pm, and I'll be working with him tonight so I may just have to give an update when I'm home to let everyone know what he's thought so far. Several of the sorority girls that work with us have told me that they are pushing him away from certain houses and know that he's pretty excited about Beta. I'm really glad that these girls are helping him out, telling him which houses he shouldn't be in. Makes it so I don't have to say as much about the other guys and can just focus on selling Beta.

I worked with D last night, and he told me that he had gotten his first call before he got into work. His rush app was just released to the houses yesterday so that's why. D's stepbrother was a member of my chapter before I got there, so he's kind of a legacy. He's super, super, super excited about Beta, and may be developing into a rush crush, so I'm trying to calm him down a little bit about the whole thing. He is worried about his grades and ACT score comparing to some of the other guys we're rushing. He's afraid we're not going to call him, but I think I allayed his fears a little by telling him that he can always show up and do some of the work on his side.

Since I have the time, I'll give a quick little profile at the types of guys who have meetings set up so far. These are the descriptions the rush chairs posted on our message boards (Obviously all identifying information removed for GC)

Rushee A - FBLA president, all-state honorable mention for basketball, national honor society (NHS), 30 ACT, and 4.0 GPA, prom king

Rushee B - 24 ACT, 3.708, Track, cross country, NHS, and Chess Club.

Rushee C - 25 ACT, 4.0, Baseball player, all district first team football, also a thespian member, NHS...

Rushee D - 32 ACT, 4.0 GPA, football, golf, basketball, student council, Regent's Scholar

Rushee E - 30 ACT, 4.61 GPA, pre-med Peter Kiewet Scholar, Regents Scholar, varsity tennis, baseball, and basketball

Rushee F - 30 ACT, 3.93 GPA, Heisman State Finalist, citizenship award winner, State Honors Scholar, NHS, FBLA

Rushee G - top 3% of his class 30 ACT 4.3 GPA. varsity tennis and basketball and was an all-acadmeic athlete. NHS

Rushee H - 17/249 in his class 28 ACT 4.11 GPA. into community service...

Rushee I - 30 ACT and a 3.95 GPA. Super invovled kid with many leadership positions...has won several awards for English and writing.

Rushee J - Transfer student from a well known University in the south - in HS played sports..class president...33ACT/1490 SAT

Rushee K - 28/226 in his class...30 ACT/1370 SAT/3.936 GPA. varsity golf, was a distinguished scholar, and was in several other clubs. highly recommended from an alumnus.

Rushee L - 30 ACT and a 3.98 GPA. Athletic kid who shows leadership. Placed 8th at the state DECA convention. coaches Baseball for 10 year olds.

Rushee M - 6/433 in his class...33ACT/1430 SAT/4.684 GPA. He is an all-state soccer/many athletic as well as academic honors.

Rushee N - 28 ACT and a 4.3 GPA. class pres, played varsity sports, and was homecoming royalty. Reccomended by a graduating senior

Rushee O - Top 15% of his class 26 ACT and 3.8 GPA. cross country lacrosse, shows leadership, and did a good amount of community service.

Rushee P - 33ACT/1440 SAT/3.84 GPA. seems like a really involved kid with lots of community service. (Rush chair talked with rushee's mother for 15 minutes before the rushee got home...always promising when you get the parents involved, and I bet few other houses would do similar things)

Rushee Q - 31 ACT and 3.7 GPA. Was recognized as "Mr. <name of HS Here>" on student council, senior class board, and was in several other clubs

Rushee R - 34 act 4.06 gpa Co-captain of football team, peter kiewit distinguished scholar,student council rep, president of National honor society (little brother of one of my best friends - she's a Theta)

Rushee S - 28 act 4.409 gpa Deca President, student council, baseball, basketball, tennis

Rushee T - 30 act- 3.65 gpa- Frisbee golf Club, latin club, weekly trips to elementary school as a reading tutor, national honor society

Rushee U - 29 act-94.3 gpa, like a 3.8 -really involved, if you want to read about him call me or something cause i am not going to write it all. <-------this is what the rush chair actually wrote. Comes reccomended by one of my pledge brothers too

So these are the guys who have been called and had meetings set up from the first batch of applications. As you can see, some ridicuosly high quality guys. Just going through and reading all of the things these guys have done has me seriously impressed. Hopefully we sign some of these guys. I should make it a point though to say that we will still be meeting tons of kids throughout the summer. Guys will be coming through during New Student Enrollment, and there will be more apps trickling in each week. Plus these are only the guys who have meetings...some guys have been called but nothing set up. Also we can always count on some guys to just show up at our rush events.

Anyways, sorry for the length, and thanks for sticking through it if you made it this far.