View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, Rush is already going at near full steam.

Being in Lincoln this summer, I'm already seeing a difference between my vision of rush this year compared to last. I hung out with the rush chairs last night and so got to hear all of the going ons for bascially what was day one of the rush season.

I also have two guys that I work with that are going to be going through rush this summer and so will be able to add a little about what they are going through.

Basically so, far there were over a 130 some rush apps in by friday, which was the last day of our finals week. This is a very positive sign as it was almost 40 more apps than were turned in last year at this time. Plus there seems to be a lot more out of state guys goign through.

I know that a lot of houses were making calls on friday afternoon due to the guys from work (we'll call them J and D for short - these are made up initials btw) J told me yesterday that he had three lunch meetings already set up for this week with different houses. I haven't talked to D yet, but I'm slightly disconcerted b/c the rush chairs said they didn't see his app. However I'm encouraged b/c the little sister (a lovely ChiO) of one of last years rush chairs gave her approval of D. Considering she got 5 of her friends to sign with us last year, and had approved of at least 3 or 4 others she knew from various conferences and all, she's pretty much like a de facto chapter member. So we'll see what happens.

As for the rush chairs, 2 of them already had 6 meetings with rushees set up each. The other one has 5 so we're already having 17 guys to meet at the end of Day one. Today I know the rush chairs were goign to spend a lot of time cleaning up the house, and not so much time on the phones, but if they timed it right, they hopefully got a lot of the cleaning done before the time when a lot of rushees are getting home from school.

Starting next week, we'll start holding Barbeques at the house on Thursday nights. I'll be out of town next week attending UIFI so I won't have much to say about it. Also, unfortunetly I have my Kaplan course for the MCAT on thursday nights too, so I'll only be able to make the BBQ for little bit less than an hour each week.

Our first rush party is going to be out in Ogallala NE, at the home of the one of our previous rush chairs. It'll be the 29th of May and a chance to hit up Western Nebraska early, and much farther west than a lot of houses travel for events. We've been there for the past 2 years and it's always been a good time. I'll be missing this event though as well, to go to Sioux Falls for my cousin's HS graduation.