View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I want y'all to know, I rushed as a sophomore, and it can work for or against you in SO many ways....

First off, if you're a sophomore who knows people, they can get you in. There was a girl who rushed with me as a sophomore, and not only did she have friends in the top house, but also she's very well-known and active on campus. She's in honors college and also does many things around campus. She got exactly the sorority that she wanted because of it. I know one of the girls in the sorority that I didn't go had already claimed me as her little sis way back in March because I met her at a fraternity party.

Some ways that it worked against me, though...
1, I had pre-conceived notions. I had already pre-ranked every sorority going into rush. I used one sorority as a "fall back" sorority and ended up getting cut first round because I didn't try hard to talk to the girl because I was SURE that they wouldn't possibly cut ME.
2, I was active on campus, but hadn't met any of the "top" people on campus, either. I knew a lot of guys, but hadn't really worked hard to meet the girls. If they don't know you, they tend to assume you sat on your butt freshman year and did nothing. I did know two girls in DG, though, that knew that I wasn't like that. Lucky me!! :-)
3, I knew girls in certain sororities, and instead of looking past liking them/not liking them, I judged the whole sorority on one or two girls. The reason I didn't go one sorority was because two girls that I went to high school with were in it, and I couldn't stand either one of them. They have since both dropped out. Not that I regret my decision, but I regret how I made it.

The lesson is, if you rush as a sophomore, PLEASE make sure not to have pre-conceived notions. Oh, and don't try to help out freshmen with their decisions by telling them your pre-conceived notions. It only hurts greek life as a whole. I hold the belief that competition only makes you better if it's GOOD competition, so everyone should work hard to make sure every sorority is in the same playing field.

OK, I'm stepping off my soapbox again. :-)