View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
The other thing to keep in mind is that at a big school, where release figures are used, much of the initial cutting is not necessarily personal. I know that at big schools some chapters have to cut 150 women in the first night. This just makes my jaw drop, as that's more women than are active in our entire sorority system here. But regardless, they have to look for a way to cut loads of women whom they've only met for ten minutes, so they use a lot of arbitrary standards like grades, class standing, and whether a woman has a recommendation. Yes, there's the whole "Why didn't you go through as a freshman?" thing, but I don't think that's entirely fair. A woman should not be blamed for taking time to find herself and figure out what she wants. Or grades may have been a factor, or a family situation, or she could have transfered, or, or, or... I agree wholeheartedly that a certain number of non-freshmen should be considered "freebies" at such big schools. I do not agree with the original assertion made by someone that no freshmen should be allowed to rush. That would be disasterous, especially to your weaker Greek systems. Besides, isn't the point to allow women to enjoy the collegiate experience as long as possible?