Thread: Campus Pics
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by midwesterngirl
...and DeltAlum,I was watching a program about Ohio University/Athens hauntings just the other day. Is Athens as haunted as they say? As shown in your pictures,it is obviously a beautiful campus. The program,of course,made it out to be a very sinister and creepy.
Athens is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in the world. But the town isn't creepy really. In fact, it's the prototypical small college town and a wonderful place to go to school.

To be honest, though, there was a men's room in the basement of Kantner Hall (Then known as The Speech Building) where the old radio station was located that kind of gave me the creeps for no particular reason.

Kantner Hall

I'm sure they also mentioned Wilson Hall where a young woman died and very spooky things happened. It was right next to the dorm I stayed in as a freshman on the West Green.

Wilson Hall

And they always mention "The Ridges" which was a former state mental hospital complex which overlooks the campus. There are lots of rumors of murders, suicide, etc. in the buildings there. The area was given to the university after I was there and now houses a museum and number of other departments. In my time, "The Asylum Grounds" as it was know was a great place to "park."

An old picture of the Athens Mental Health Facility

A Building at "The Ridges" today.

There is even some talk about some haunting of the current Delt House. One of my pledge brothers was killed in an automobile accident during our pledge period, and there was allegedly a seance later where some spooky things happened. I wasn't a part, and can't confirm that.

Delt Shelter at Ohio University

There is a sorority house that was allegedly a stop on the "Underground Railroad" during the Civil War and it is allegedly haunted by a slave who was killed or something.

The only thing I did there was "haunt" the local pubs.

But thanks for asking...
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 10-09-2005 at 06:06 PM.