Thread: New Member 101
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Echoing a few of the outstanding points (with commentary) prior to posting my own:

-Choose your battles carefully. It's part of the maturation process. You will survive if you have to wear a baseball cap (along with everyone else) at Homecoming.

-Get involved with at least one other (non-Greek) activity. You may even meet some people who are in other GLOs.

-Keep a scrapbook or diary of your new member period. It's one of your most exciting times in the chapter. And, some GLOs have contests for scrapbooks! (says the Best Scrapbook winner!) As another poster said, don't keep the online diary, do the real thing. If that means posting in your online diary, and copying & pasting each entry for a document, so be it.

-Respect, respect, respect!! You got the bid, you've pledged your heart - now is the time to live it. The best way is to show your new sisters the respect with which you'd like to be treated!

My own:

-If your Greek System has Greek 101 or a similar intro to the system, try not to miss ANY classes! If it wasn't important, it wouldn't be mandatory!

-Take the time to dream out loud with some sisters. What are your goals? Career? Is marriage an option? Children? Shoot for the stars!

-Remember that each rule is in place for a reason! It may take you years to realize this, but it's a valuable lesson.

-Treat your alumnae well. They are in a position to write resumes, nominate you for (Inter)National Awards, and just help you through a bad patch in life.

-Don't gossip, at least maliciously. It's one thing to say that Suzy Senior's boyfriend was seen at a jeweler's, it's another to say that you saw him at the Free Clinic.

-Learn what should be said in public, what should be said in private, and what shouldn't be said at all.

Lastly,

-Have Fun!!!