View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't want to go through and recorrect each individual post, but there is a widespread misbelief that Wellesley does not have a Greek system. True, Wellesley does not have any NPC recognized sororities, but it does have its own "Greek system" consisting of local greek letter societies, which have their own recruitment ('teas'), ritual, colors, crest, symbols, house (not for housing--but for parties/functions/meetings), and history.

Some of the societies at Wellesley are 125+ years old, meaning they rival other GLOs founded around the same size, but they were not taken nationally. Seeing as Wellesley was often considered as the premier women's school in the 19th and 20th centuries (A Seven Sisters school which produced the likes of Madame Chiang Kai-shek, Madeleine Albright, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Nora Ephron, Cokie Roberts, & Diane Sawyer as well as a slew of others, particularly those well known in academia), a friend of mine said some of the societies' earliest members didn't want their organizations to grow to other schools because they "weren't sure of the calibre of women there." Just an interesting thought.

In any event, societies at Wellesley which are still active include
Phi Sigma, Zeta Alpha, Tau Zeta Epsilon, and The Shakespeare Society.

(And no, I don't go to Wellesley, although I think it's a wonderful place and I almost DID go there!)