View Single Post
Old 11-26-2002, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Its funny, I have read a lot of the Rush threads and NPC rules as an outsider, a male, a fraternity member that doesn't use your system.

So please correct me if I am wrong, I am outside the box.

The corner stone of NPC operations seems to be Formal Rush and Formal Rush seems to work better at schools with an automatic Greek Draw.

When I say that, I mean there are schools where enough people want to go Greek that the sororities don't have to go out and do all kinds of marketing to attract PNM's.

ITs a literal RUSH, the PNM's herd through and you put on a good show and see how many you can attract. If you have a great reputation you don't even have to work to hard at the show.

These are the schools we are talking about when we say ultra competitive Rush and heavy cutting correct?

Formal Rush doesn't work so well at schools without a strong Greek Draw. Often the recruitment techniques chapters at the smaller schools use are quite different. I know at my school Formal Rush is mostly populated with people that have been kind of asked to come out. Recruited.

Ok the NPC model, in my understanding, is a flawed example of created economics.

The point seems to make it so that each house can stay at total or higher with relative ease (theoretically). So at some of these schools, in order to do this they have many less spaces available than there are PNM's.

This allows the sororities, especially the popular ones to be "selective" because there is an artificial demand for spots. The reason why I say this is artificial is that total could be higher or more groups could be invited on campus.

So if you are allowed to be selective like that, because there are so many applicants, you are going to start cutting heavily just for statistics.

GPA, Class, etc.

And yet going back to the example of the smaller Greek Systems, these factor a lot less. In smaller Greek Systems, upperclassmen coming out and getting bids is common. In smaller Greek systems they are grade conscious but maybe the new PNM groups doesn't average 3.5.

So to answer the original question, and keeping in mind that I am a boy, lol, there are only three answers that I see:

1. Increase the amount of spaces available to outpace the amount of PNM's by either raising total or soliciting new groups.

2. Make upper classmen free. No effect on quota.

3. Create a seperate quota for upperclassmen. Have them be considered a seperate entity. And have them be an entirely different issue.