View Single Post
Old 09-02-2003, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: keep an open mind!

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
Many chapters of all the NPC have been in danger of closing at various universities over the years. Some do, but some pull themselves up by the boot straps and recover amazingly! My initiating chapter was at about 42 when I was Initiated but dropped down to 15 by the following fall (45 was our Chapter Total). Well, we took more new members than there were of us! I had twins (because in AGD, we have Sister-daughters rather than big sisters). Within a year, we were up at Chapter Total. Dropping so low was scary at first, but it also bumped me into a leadership position very quickly (which helped me grow a lot!) and strengthened the bond with my remaining sisters (we felt a little like survivors). Small isn't always bad.. more leadership opportunities, closer bonds to sisters, less competition for scholarships designated for your chapter!

When women decide "Oh, I don't want to join XYZ because they might close because of small numbers", they perpetuate the problem instead of becoming part of the solution!

Good luck with purple, since your heart really seems to be there!

Dee
And in many cases they're actually nowhere near closing. My chapter has been the smallest on campus for quite a while - like 25 years. We've been "going to close" every since we got our charter from Gamma Phi Beta.