View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
I think this is a good thing for people to see. It's a very real problem at many schools on the west coast. Even at Cal Berkeley, that bastion of liberalism and political correctness, sororities become "undesirable" when they become "too Asian." The truth hurts, but we need to own it.
It’s huge, I helped out at a west coast chapter of my sorority and I had a friend of mine who had a daughter rushing call me and ask if there was racial diversity I responded that yes, the chapter composed of a lot of different diverse girls and she responded “it’s west coast, I want to know if the chapter is all Asian.”

I helped out at a SMU and I went to visit a friend of mine who is in a different sorority and her daughter, I didn’t see one woman of color at that house.

Niece’s high a chool had an EXTREME problem with racism and most of the girls there had awful attitudes when it came to rushing sororities that weren’t what they’d been in the 70s and 80s when their mothers were members and in the 50s and 60s when their grandmothers were members.

I just was looking at a canadian university’s chapter of a sorority and I did not see one woman of color at all. At some schools, there’s still the token woman of color in a chapter, I’ve written Rec letters for women who are extremely qualified but have still been dropped and I don’t think that it’s because of skin tone, but when I see an all white chapter with maybe 3 Asian women and that’s all the diversity they have, I have to wonder.

So yes, even though I hate to be that person who causes controversy, diversity is still an issue in sororities. I’m sure that all of us saw the Alabama sorority scandal headlines, we’ve seen the recruitment videos, it’s an issue and until we have a solution to that issue, we have a problem.

(I hate to be political. I’m sorry, this is my personal opinion, not the opinion of my sorority)