Thread: pan-hel vs. non
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Why should they have to answer to the same governing bodies we do? APhiO has managed fine for years without doing so.

In fact, aside from a national Latino organization, there is no national body that governs MCGLOs or ethnic GLOS. If there is one organized on your campus and it's a joke, that's too bad, sure. But not every local IFC or Panhel is operating well, either.

What about groups that are not yet eligible to join the national orgs, like Phi Sigma Rho or Ceres? What are they supposed to do in the interim?

What about groups like Theta Nu Xi? NPHC is (I believe) opposed to them being a member of local PHCs, and because of their rush structure they won't join Panhel. (Kind of hard to deal with things like quota and ceiling when part of your belief structure is to remain small.) Kind of puts them between a rock and a hard place, eh?

Now, I agree, these groups need as close a scrutiny from the school administration as any IFC fraternity gets. And it would probably strengthen them all if they were to form their own national organization. But they don't have to join a pre-existing one. If NPC, IFC and NPHC can't or won't meet their needs, they shouldn't be shoehorned to fit.

After all, saying, "NPC isn't for us because we want to remain small/take only engineers/etc." is quite different than, "NPC isn't for us because we want to get away with all the hazing we can!" If a group on your campus is doing it, I bet their nationals isn't all that thrilled either.