View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I have some pretty good news: #BlackVampireProjectis 34% funded! In seven days, WE have raised $1,332 dollars! Editors? PAID. Cover designer? PAID. Review copies? PAID.

What's left? Shipping costs for those review copies. Printing of promotional materials. And most importantly, the creative writing tour. Let me tell you a little more about that.

When I was at Georgetown, we were lucky enough to be visited by lots of novelists, poets, and other writers. Freshman year alone, I can recall Amiri Baraka coming to visit as well as Isabelle Allende. Later, we were visited by Saul Williams. But one of the most meaningful visits we had was a small book talk at the Black House with Hoya author Tracy Grant. It really wasn't until I met him that I realized being a novelist is something I truly could embark upon as a career.

I want to recreate those profound moments at colleges that don't have the budget of Georgetown. I want to go to Dillard and SUNO and Xavier and let them know that the stories inside of them matter. I want to go to Livingstone and Barber Scotia and Shaw and St. Aug's and reach out to young women and young women who, like me, were unsure at 18 or 19 what to do with the writing talents they have.

I knew the money would be raised to help me out with the administrative parts of this book. But now it's time to dig in and contribute so we can serve and inspire. Let's go on tour. Let's change the world!

Thank you so so much to everyone who has given so far! If you intended to donate but haven't yet, the link is http://igg.me/at/BlackVampireProject