Thread: Alpha Psi Omega
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well, unfortunately (for the sake of clarity), there are honor fraternities and honor fraternities (or honor fraternities and honor societies). Some, like Phi Sigma Pi, Kappa Kappa Psi or Tau Beta Sigma describe themselve as honor organizations but function in a manner similar to other GLOs. Other societies, like Pi Kappa Lambda (music) or Sigma Xi (science) function more like Phi Beta Kappa.

To be honest, I had never heard of Alpha Psi Omega until this thread. I do note that, unlike Phi Sigma Pi, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, Alpha Psi Omega is not a member of the Professional Fraternity Association, which leads me to think it may fall more in the honor society category.
I know they are an honor society (their logo reads "Alpha Psi Omega - National Honorary Theatre Society), but I think the style of how each chapter functions differs greatly from campus to campus. Some may focus more on ritual and fellowship, whereas others may be the type of org that has one mandatory meeting per month that the members attend so that they can list it on their resume.