Thread: Size of NALFO
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Interesting.

On one hand, I can understand why the minimum chapter number is low -- small orgs need support and peer learning, too. How can they ever get their weight up if they don't learn best practices?
I would think the requirements would encourage the smaller organizations to get their weight up. The lax requirements seem to be encouraging the dreaded founder-itis.

Quote:
I didn't see this in the bylaws (but I didn't look very hard, either)..... I have noticed that some new organizations I'm familiar with don't have stringent requirements to start a colony.

For example, one org I know, chartered in 2004, just started a colony with one girl. I'm like....wtf? Meanwhile, a slightly older sorority I'm familiar with seems to prefer chartering with no less than four. Which, given the campuses they charter on (very deliberate choices, very strong schools) makes a lot of sense.
Yea, a one person colony is kind of ridiculous. Most of the larger organizations are much more strict when it comes to who needs to be on a campus when expanding. These mini-chapters/colonies still get a full vote on NALFO issues, which is the part that irks me.