View Single Post
Old 06-03-2001, 01:42 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by MafiaCSUS:
Well, in a lot of cases their questions are good. Why would people want to go through the pledging process? It makes NO sense to make future brothers chug a alcoholoci beverage. It makes no sense to make a pledge do anything disrespectful to themselves. Any person with dignity and honor should NOT do anything that is demeaning to themselves, even if they "think" they want to.

I think you are confusing pledging with hazing. No, I wouldn't want to be hazed needlessly for 10 weeks. I wouldn't want people to make me drink and beat the crap out of me. I would want a program that teaches me about my sorority, my chapter sisters, and the Greek community at large as preparation for initiation. If my org didn't give me that, then I would feel cheated.

I would be willing to bet that 3/4's of Greek organizations do their developement process wrong... this is why some organizations are adopting 4 year developement programs. Sure, the anti-hazing movement has gone too far, but get real! Learn how to be a pledge educator and more people will be likely to join one of our organizations.
The "4 year development programs" have their good points, but from what I've seen, it seems like some of them do very little to help you create bonds. It just seems like you, a solo person, begin pledging whenever and get initiated whenever. I hope that's not the case, but that's how some of them look on paper. The main reason behind a pledge class is so you can bond with a small group (your pledge sisters) before you can go on to bonding with ever larger groups (your chapter, your school's Greek community, your national, the nationwide Greek community). There has to be some structure maintained - it's a Greek organization, not a McDonald's drive through.

We should not just cram all the info into 6 weeks and then forget about it, but that's why we have yearly membership tests. I think that's a great use of your Founder's Day - talk about the things you first learned when pledging and take time out to appreciate them.

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited June 03, 2001).]