GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Selling your National Headquarters??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=248272)

PKT4LIFE 10-13-2022 08:27 PM

Selling your National Headquarters???

I just read an article that Alpha Xi Delta sold their headquarters building due to staff working remotely. I also read a few weeks ago Theta Phi Alpha also terminated their headquarters building lease in order to save on costs. Anyone else know if their organization plans to eliminate/reduce their national headquarter offices?

https://www.alphaxidelta.org/update-...rters-building

Titchou 10-14-2022 06:28 AM

Wow! Delta Gamma is half and half and has decided to remain that way - according to the latest announcement. I can't imagine not being able to view our archives!

naraht 10-14-2022 04:41 PM

Alpha Phi Omega went from owning their own office to renting space in an office complex about a decade ago. (After spending the 1990s trying to convince alumni to help pay down the mortgage on the National Office). The National Office building is owned by a local State Farm insurance office.

33girl 10-14-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2492106)
Wow! Delta Gamma is half and half and has decided to remain that way - according to the latest announcement. I can't imagine not being able to view our archives!

Amen. I would spit nails if my GLO thought a “digital collection” was an acceptable substitute. Sorry A Xi D, but this is an absolutely horrible idea. Perhaps I’ve just seen Soylent Green too many times, but we have no guarantee that our current level of technology will grow or even maintain itself forever.

ASTalumna06 10-14-2022 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2492106)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2492112)
Amen. I would spit nails if my GLO thought a “digital collection” was an acceptable substitute. Sorry A Xi D, but this is an absolutely horrible idea. Perhaps I’ve just seen Soylent Green too many times, but we have no guarantee that our current level of technology will grow or even maintain itself forever.

This is the only part of the whole thing that surprised me and kind of makes me sad. Not having a "true" national headquarters totally makes sense in this day and age, and I imagine there's little to no need for orgs to limit themselves to HQ staff that are centralized in one city or town.

Plus, real estate is expensive. This, in addition to payroll, is where a lot of for-profits and non-profits spend the most money. If you can eliminate at least part of the real estate from the equation, it makes good financial sense and allows you to allocate money and resources to more of the things that matter.

That being said, keeping a small space - even if it's leased - where a small staff overseas historical items that sisters can view seems necessary. I can picture VERY small museums I've visited, and they're totally worth it.

Going digital nowadays is certainly practical - and sometimes necessary - but this seems like one step too far.

Sadly, I doubt Alpha Xi Delta will be the last to go this route.

flirt5721 10-14-2022 11:25 PM

It really sucks for our organization. I was surprised when the announcement was made. They also don't have plans for a new building. Hopefully a space is leased to have the opportunity to see historical items.

But honestly the building was not comparable to the other organization HQ building in the area (at least in my opinion)

ASTalumna06 10-15-2022 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flirt5721 (Post 2492116)
It really sucks for our organization. I was surprised when the announcement was made. They also don't have plans for a new building. Hopefully a space is leased to have the opportunity to see historical items.

But honestly the building was not comparable to the other organization HQ building in the area (at least in my opinion)

Your headquarters looks to be right around the corner from ours, and is similar in appearance and structure.

There is a very clear difference between NPC sorority (and fraternity) HQs. Some are McMansions and others appear more like office buildings.

I wouldn't be shocked if, in the near future, the former keep their large buildings and the others go the way of Alpha Xi Delta.

But again, the one thing that seems worth holding on to is the physical history that a computer screen can't match.

AGDee 10-15-2022 01:07 AM

I can't remember which group it was, but I thought there was one who closed their headquarters but put the archives in one of the large chapter houses. Does that sound familiar to anybody else?

SquirrelyDays 10-15-2022 06:51 AM

AGDee - pretty sure that was Alpha Phi

Sen's Revenge 10-15-2022 09:21 AM

Do your organizations have historical exhibits at national conventions?

SquirrelyDays 10-15-2022 02:48 PM

@Sen - I remember such a display but I’m not sure which one of Alpha Gam’s conventions it was. Maybe our centennial in Chicago?

AGDee 10-15-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SquirrelyDays (Post 2492123)
@Sen - I remember such a display but I’m not sure which one of Alpha Gam’s conventions it was. Maybe our centennial in Chicago?

We had one in San Antonio, the 50th Convention, for historial convention memorobilia. I believe there were displays in Chicago for our Centennial too.

FSUZeta 10-15-2022 04:55 PM

Zeta does it every convention.

Cheerio 10-15-2022 09:56 PM

AOTT isn't planning on closing their headquarters building.They are currently creating a new AOTT history museum addition inside their HQ in honor of their 125th anniversary. My sister worked with an AOTT this summer who happened to mention the AOTT plans.

ASTalumna06 10-15-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge (Post 2492120)
Do your organizations have historical exhibits at national conventions?

Mine doesn't. I don't know if they have in the past for milestones, though.