GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ivy League Schools Chapters (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=32253)

queequek 04-12-2003 01:32 PM

Ivy League Schools Chapters

Question: Which GLO has (or used to have) chapters in ALL Ivy League Schools? Are we (Theta Delta Chi) the only one?

Cornell University (Beta Charge)
Yale University (Epsilon Deuteron Charge)
Harvard University (Iota Charge)
Dartmouth College (Omicron Deuteron Charge)
University of Pennsylvania (Phi Deuteron Charge)
Columbia University (Rho Deuteron Charge)
Princeton University (Tau Charge)
Brown University (Zeta Charge)

Some went inactive, but I think it is cool to have chapters in these prestigious institutions in one point of time! :cool:

Does/did your GLO have chapters in ALL Ivy League Schools?

Betarulz! 04-12-2003 01:40 PM

Beta Theta Pi has 'em all, thus making Theta Delta Chi not the only one.

Dartmouth (Alpha Omega)
Cornell (Beta Delta)
Columbia (Alpha Alpha)
Harvard (Eta)
Princeton (Theta Epsilon)
Penn (Phi)
Brown (Kappa)
Yale (Phi Chi)

Peaches-n-Cream 04-12-2003 02:12 PM

Wow! We have had chapters at:

Barnard (Columbia) - inactive
University of Pennsylvania - inactive
Dartmouth - inactive
Cornell University - active :D

queequek 04-12-2003 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Betarulz!
Beta Theta Pi has 'em all, thus making Theta Delta Chi not the only one.

Cool, are they all active?

italianaxo 04-12-2003 05:22 PM

As an ivy greek, I wonder what is your perception of greek life at the ivys? I always wonder what people at other schools think, have heard, etc...

sugar and spice 04-12-2003 06:42 PM

italianaxo - I think it depends on the school, of course. Penn and Cornell are both known for having fairly active Greek systems, as is Dartmouth -- but I think most people associate Dartmouth with the "Animal House" stereotype, since it was based on a Dartmouth fraternity. Then, on the other hand, Princeton and Harvard don't even recognize Greek life (does Yale? I can never remember) on their campuses, so it's a completely different conception of what Greek life is like there.

Tri Delta has active chapters at:

Penn (Psi)
Cornell (Alpha Beta)
Dartmouth (Gamma Gamma)
Princeton (Gamma Omicron)

To the best of my knowledge, we've never had a chapter at the other Ivies.

Kevin 04-12-2003 06:47 PM

Harvard has no recognized fraternity Greek Life. They just opened to expansion for sororities though.

Yale on the other hand has both.

AOIIalum 04-12-2003 07:26 PM

Our Epsilon chapter is at Cornell. I think that's the only Ivy League school with an AOII chapter.

Christin

Peaches-n-Cream 04-12-2003 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by italianaxo
As an ivy greek, I wonder what is your perception of greek life at the ivys? I always wonder what people at other schools think, have heard, etc...
I have had friends at Barnard and Columbia. I never heard anything about the greek scene there though. I have visited Penn and Cornell. I attended meetings and parties and met quite a few fraternity men and sorority women. They seemed nice and down to earth. I enjoyed their parties. :cool:

Two of my neighbors attended Penn and Cornell. Unfortunately, neither received a bid when they rushed. I'm not sure why because they are really outstanding people.

I don't know anything about greeklife at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Brown. I have read that Dartmouth has been having a very difficult time with the administration's lack of support of greeklife.

sugar and spice 04-12-2003 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ktsnake
Harvard has no recognized fraternity Greek Life. They just opened to expansion for sororities though.

Yale on the other hand has both.

Actually, sororities are not recognized at Harvard, either. They DID just open to expansion . . . but it was the Panhellenic Association that invited them to come colonize, not the school.

The reason I was curious about Yale is that none of the fraternities or sororities are listed on the "student organization" website, nor do they have a "Greek life" section on their website as far as I can find.

Beryana 04-12-2003 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AOIIalum
Our Epsilon chapter is at Cornell. I think that's the only Ivy League school with an AOII chapter.

Christin

We had chapters at more Ivy League schools - but Cornell is the only one still active. . .

Barnard (Columbia) - Alpha
Penn - Psi
Brown University - Beta (interesting story)

AOIIalum 04-12-2003 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beryana
We had chapters at more Ivy League schools - but Cornell is the only one still active. . .

Hanging head...I never realized that Barnard/Columbia was Ivy League...

Quote:

Brown University - Beta (interesting story)
Besides the fact that our Beta chapter was not the 2nd chapter installed into Alpha Omicron Pi? Now, where's my history book? :)

Christin

g41965 04-13-2003 12:15 AM

Ivy League Chapters

DU has had chapters at 7 out of the 8 Ivy League Schools, here is the breakdown:

Brown 1868-1967, formed from local Gamma Nu Society founded 1860, went local as Kappa Delta Upsilon 1967-1986.KDU reinstalled as a DU chapter in 1986 went local again 1992 in a dispute over initiation fees/ chapter dues. KDU was suspended by the Brown Administration in 1997 due to a suspicious fire in the chapter house, I do not know if the chapter remains off campus.

Cornell 1869-2002 chapter suspended due to risk management problems, the imposing chapter house is still owned by Alumni Association. chapter revival very likely.

Princeton 1870-1871, chapter killed by anti-fratenity laws, I'm not sure why DU didn't try to revive chapter in 1980's when Greeks came back to Princeton.

Harvard 1880-1942, chapter died asa result of formation of DU Club formed mid 1920's, which sapped chapters strength, as a Harvard Final Club (local?). The chapter was revived in 1999 and is currently active.

Columbia 1885-1964. 60's casualty, some interest in reviving the chapter.

Penn 1888-1972, hippies killed this chapter as well , chapter revived 1980-1986, second revival 1990, chapter is currently active.

Dartmouth 1926-1966, chapter founded from Epsilon Kappa Phi, founded in 1920. Chapter went local in 1966 as Foley House(named after a very active alum) chapter basically stopped being a fraternity about 1971 and became more of a co-op.There is still a Foley House on the Dartmouth Campus but it is not part of IFC, the school website states that Foley House is now an outdoor/adventure type club.

Yale : Never has had an active DU chapter.

AlphaSigOU 04-13-2003 12:52 AM

Alpha Sigma Phi has had chapters at most of, but not all Ivy League universities:

Yale (Alpha - 1845) -- active
Harvard (Beta - 1850) -- inactive
Princeton (no chapter established)
University of Pennsylvania (Omicron - 1914) -- inactive
Columbia (Lambda - 1910) -- inactive
Dartmouth (Alpha Eta -1928) -- inactive
Cornell (Iota - 1909) -- active
Brown (no chapter established)

Betarulz! 04-13-2003 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by queequek
Cool, are they all active?
Actually most of them are inactive, however Cornell, Penn, Yale, and Princeton are all active still. In fact Kyle from the Real World Chicago was a two term chapter president from the chapter at Princeton.