GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Going thru Rush as a Sophomore/Junior (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=24546)

lyrica9 04-29-2004 01:11 PM

it does depend on the school/group.
in my pledge class of 23 there are 12 freshmen and 11 upperclassmen, but i know of at least one other group on campus that took a pledge class of most if not all freshmen in the fall when i went through.

ThetaPrincess24 04-29-2004 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by honeychile
I have to agree with this. It's better to give no advice than bad advice.

Secondly, why-oh-why won't more Panhellenics go to "free juniors and seniors"?!?!?

I agree with her statement too.

Honeychile--I agree that that should be done, but I think it's because some panhellenics like to be poopy instead of giving every possible PNM the best possible advantage of getting a bid :)

honeychile 04-29-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
I agree with her statement too.

Honeychile--I agree that that should be done, but I think it's because some panhellenics like to be poopy instead of giving every possible PNM the best possible advantage of getting a bid :)

Mary, I agree. Unfortunately, that's the attitude that equates sorority with ditzy airheads, instead of the major power that we truly could be, if we thought more Panhellenic!!

ADqtPiMel 04-29-2004 07:09 PM

Miami University has a relatively competitive recruitment, but it's not uncommon to see sophomores going through. However, each sorority typically has an amount of sophomores they will take in a new member class. I think our new member class of 44 girls has 3 sophomores.

It's pretty rare to see juniors going through recruitment here. Only one went through this January, and I believe she did not get a bid. It all depends on the campus environment.

Rollergirl2001 04-29-2004 11:26 PM

I'm going to be a first year senior next year, and I know that I'll be cut by every sorority, except for 1 to 3 of them. But I'm going through this rush with an open mind.

honeychile 04-29-2004 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ADqtPiMel
Miami University has a relatively competitive recruitment, but it's not uncommon to see sophomores going through. However, each sorority typically has an amount of sophomores they will take in a new member class. I think our new member class of 44 girls has 3 sophomores.

It's pretty rare to see juniors going through recruitment here. Only one went through this January, and I believe she did not get a bid. It all depends on the campus environment.

But if your chapter was not penalized by having juniors or seniors count towards quota, do you think that more upperclassmen would go through recruitment? That's my complaint!

dakareng 04-29-2004 11:44 PM

When I was a chapter advisor in Bowling Green in the late 80s/ early 90s, the sororities competed heavily for juniors (didn't see too many seniors going through) because they did not count toward your quota. The system there (at that time) allowed up to 5 juniors in addition to quota (and quota then was 35-45). Juniors were ranked and matched separately. I always thought that worked best for all. The women going through recruitment as juniors were often transfers or had been on campus but had opted not to rush earlier. As an advisor, I loved having juniors in the new member class... they were leaders and a stablizing force among the other new members.