GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Up & Coming National GLOs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   NALFO Orgs. Changing Focus (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=119321)

knight_shadow 05-02-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monarca7 (Post 2052591)
Who are the usual suspects? :confused:

I'm thinking he's referring to SLB/SLG, ODP/KDX, etc

Monarca7 05-02-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight_shadow (Post 2052598)
I'm thinking he's referring to SLB/SLG, ODP/KDX, etc

Only one (as you know) is NALFO. So I thought there were others he was talking about.

Little Dragon 05-02-2011 03:36 PM

Didn't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monarca7 (Post 2052597)
btw, Chi Sigma Upsilon Sorority is and has long been defunct. I don't think they ever madeit out of the 90's.

Thanks. I didn't know. They have a website up, but I did not dig deep enough on it. Now that I went back, they had events till 2004. Sorry.

Little Dragon 05-02-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monarca7 (Post 2052609)
Only one (as you know) is NALFO. So I thought there were others he was talking about.

You are right Monarca, out of the ones mentioned by K_S, only KDX is still a NALFO member. I had heard that another usual suspect which is out of NALFO was NAK.

The reason of my asking is for real curiosity. Although Greek since 97, I am a 2001 alumnus, so I am crude on most NALFO orgs, since SLB joined much later and didn't get to meet any on campus (besides OeDPh, KDCh, LThPh and LThA). Now, visiting their webpages, this is what I have found out about NALFO orgs.

Sororities
-The webpage for KDCh uses both Latina based and Latina founded in the "About" section.
-The webpage for GAOe say they are "Latina-founded, multicultural organization"
-About OePhB, they say they are "Latina-oriented, not Latina-based," whatever that means.
-The rest are clearly LGLO's.

As for the fraternities,
-I've heard that some chapters of LSU also throw out the diverse card, although the website clearly indicates LGLO.

I was wonder about the orgs that LatinaAlumna had in mind when she open this thread.

Edited as adviced.

Monarca7 05-02-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Dragon (Post 2052759)
You are right Monarca, out of the ones mentioned by K_S, only KDX is still a NALFO member. I had heard that another usual suspect which is out of NALFO was NAK.

The reason of my asking is for real curiosity. Although Greek since 97, I am a 2001 alumnus, so I am crude on most NALFO orgs, since SLB joined much later and didn't get to meet any on campus (besides OeDPh, KDCh, LThPh and LThA). Now, visiting their webpages, this is what I have found out about NALFO orgs.

Sororities
-The webpage for KDCh uses both Latina based and Latina founded in the "About" section.
-The webpage for GAOe say they are "Latina-founded, multicultural organization"
-About OePhB, they say they are "Latina-oriented, not Latina-based," whatever that means.

As for the fraternities,
-I've heard that some chapters of LSU also throw out the multi card, although the website clearly indicates LGLO.

I was wonder about the orgs that LatinaAlumna had in mind when she open this thread.

LSU will occasionally use the word diverse but rarely says multicultural (To be honest never ran acoss the use of "multicultural" myselfit but I could be wrong). Just a slight correction because there is a distinct difference betwen the two in my view.

Little Dragon 05-02-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monarca7 (Post 2052761)
LSU will often use the word diverse but rarely says multicultural (To be honest never ran acoss the use of "multicultural" myselfit but I could be wrong). Just a slight correction because there is a distinct difference betwen the two in my view.

Correction noted. I think I have heard the same, but remembered Multicultural due to the MSU connection. Thanks.

Monarca7 05-02-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Dragon (Post 2052778)
Correction noted. I think I have heard the same, but remembered Multicultural due to the MSU connection. Thanks.

Cool, I figured. No harm no foul.

Senusret I 05-02-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Dragon (Post 2050249)
Out of NALFO, looking at the past as I understand it, Gamma Eta Sorority (member of NMGC), Chi Sigma Upsilon Sorority (Former member of NMGC), Tau Phi Sigma Fraternity (since recently member of NIC), and Delta Delta Coed Fraternity were Latino founded, but moved officially to multicultural, some not even mentioning the change in their own histories.

I think it's their prerogative to not mention it in their public histories if it's no longer who they are.

LatinaAlumna 05-03-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Dragon (Post 2052759)

I was thinking about the orgs that are now using different terminology and/or that have members who are now calling their orgs "multicultural." Actually, the thread was prompted by a post I saw that day from someone in a current NALFO org who said referred to her org as "Latina founded but multicultural."

sigmadiva 05-03-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna (Post 2053094)
I was thinking about the orgs that are now using different terminology and/or that have members who are now calling their orgs "multicultural." Actually, the thread was prompted by a post I saw that day from someone in a current NALFO org who said referred to her org as "Latina founded but multicultural."

Just a question -

Do you think that it would be more accurate now to use the term: "Historically Latino/a GLO".

That is what has happened to the NPHC and NIC/IFC/NPC. Clearly today none of these orgs consist on a single race / ethnicity of membership as they did at their founding and much of their early history.

LatinaAlumna 05-03-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmadiva (Post 2053135)
Just a question -

Do you think that it would be more accurate now to use the term: "Historically Latino/a GLO".

That is what has happened to the NPHC and NIC/IFC/NPC. Clearly today none of these orgs consist on a single race / ethnicity of membership as they did at their founding and much of their early history.

I'm not sure which phrase would be more accurate, because I don't know what they mean to the different organizations at this point, and some of these groups have eliminated their use of "Latina/o" entirely.

Monarca7 05-03-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna (Post 2053137)
I'm not sure which phrase would be more accurate, because I don't know what they mean to the different organizations at this point, and some of these groups have eliminated their use of "Latina/o" entirely.

I always wondered how the alumni felt about changes like that. :confused:

sigmadiva 05-03-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna (Post 2053137)

Thanks.

LatinaAlumna 05-03-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monarca7 (Post 2053144)

I know, right? I wonder what the founders think, too.

preciousjeni 05-03-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monarca7 (Post 2053144)

I'm reminded of this quote by audaz49:

Quote:

Originally Posted by audaz49 (Post 1032005)
Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc. is a Latina sorority with multicultural membership...I can't say what will happen with the future standing of SLG as a Latina sorority, what I know is that currently we are just what I have said time and again, and I am proud to be a part of this sorority. The future of Sigma Lambda Gamma is in the hands of every woman who becomes a member, and I most definately cannot speak for all or even most of them. I can speak for me, and I can honestly say that whether SLG becomes Multicultural or stays Latina, I will always uphold the principles and motto of my beloved sisterhood.